Milan had an extensive canal system which made this land locked city the 13th largest Port in Italy in the 1950's. The first canals were constructed on 1177 followed by the Pavia, Bereguardo, Martesana and Paderno canals. Lodovico il Moro improved the canal system in the 15th century with the help of Leonardo da Vinci who devised a series of locks to allow the water of the Adda River to flow into Milan's canal ring which made the city a crossroad between continental Europe and the Mediterranean. Milan was connected to the Adriatic sea via the Ticino and Po rivers. Through some 90 miles of canals Milan also traded with places on Lake Maggiore and Lake Como. Thanks to its 1,000 meter-long wharf in the heart of the city equipped with moorings for barges it became a busy and important port. Candoglia marble was taken to the Duomo of Milan in the 14th century on these canals. Today took a boat trip from a wharf on the naviglio grande to San Christoforo, a large church on the canal and to whaves where for centuries women did the hand washing for the people of Milan. Then a trip to the Darsena the 1000 metre long dock and finally to a lock before returning to t he Naviglio Grande Wharf.
Then we went down the 1000 Metre dock area called the Darsena. Barges are moored here now and are floating bars and night clubs. Along the banks now are many restaurants.
Finally arrived at one of the locks. The Conchetto.
A great Sunday afternoon with time for an ice cream and a look at many restaurants and bars.