34C today, bus 95 to metro to St Ambrogio, bus 94 to San Lorenzo. During the 4th century, San Lorenzo is one of the oldest round churches in western Christendom and may have been the ancient imperial palatine chapel. The church was built utilizing materials from a nearby Roman amphitheater. After several fires the church was reconstructed in the 11th and 12th centuries and was rebuilt again in 1573 when the dome collapsed but the original quatrefoil plan has been preserved. The chapel of Saint Aquilino contains some of the best mosaics in Northern Italy.
The bronze work of the Statu e of Constantine is a copy of a Roman statue of the emperor who issued the edict of Milan in AD 313 bringing persecution of Christians to an end.
The 16 Corinthian columns from the 2nd-3rd century, were part of an unidentified temple and were placed in their present position in the 4th century.